“I’m Not Going To Pretend That I’m Poor To Be Accepted By You”- Rich Girl Slams Poor People

A 20-year-old New York college student is facing an onslaught of Internet scorn for publishing an essay demanding that poor people stop making her feel bad for coming from a rich family.

In her Thought Catalog essay "I'm Not Going To Pretend That I'm Poor To Be Accepted By You," Rachel Sacks describes how a cashier at a local grocery store was nasty to her simply because she was carrying a handbag from high-end designer Mulberry.


"I am sorry that I was born into great financial circumstances and my father likes to provide for me. I am sorry I don't have to go to a state school to save my parents money. What do you want from me?' she writes in the essay, published on Thursday.

"People shouldn't make others feel bad about their own personal finances. How people spend their money is their own choice," she continues.

"It just seems really petty and makes you look bitter and unhappy with your own life if you are casting nasty glares at college girls in Gristedes because you're a cashier."

Rachel then declares "I'm not one of those people who try to be poor to relate to people. I think that's honestly really disgusting behavior, it's as if you're saying that you have to make yourself into something you think is beneath you to get others to like you."

Later in the essay, Rachel claims she had no idea her family was rich growing up because her family regularly ate at McDonalds and she wore clothes from Old Navy.

"I went to private school when I was younger and there would always be someone so much richer than me," she says.

"There were kids who owned their own horses and whose parents were billionaires, so I had no idea that I had any money until I was about 14 and people called me 'Rachael Sacks of Cash'."

Some of Rachel's other works include "13 Things That Should Exist For New York Women In Their 20s" and "Confession: I'm a chronic female masturbator."

Rachel's younger sister, Caroline, told Daily Mail that her sister is currently living in New York's West Village and going to school. She said that she is unaware if she is working or interning.

Just a few hours after the essay was posted, Sacks was lambasted with mocking comments from those who don't appreciate her views of unearned wealth.

"Yes, let's all pity and feel bad for poor, judged, not smiled at," one Twitter user commented.

A commenter on her story wrote:

"What a spoiled brat. Your parents did a horrible job of raising you. The level of entitlement in this article is mind blowing. No one is born spoiled, entitled and snobby."

"That is a learned behavior," another user adds. "And it's repugnant. I hope that you can modify your behavior before you pass your horrible and selfish attitude down to your children,' another commenter adds"


Sacks responded to the reactions to her essay on Twitter with:

"I've been dealing with b****** since the third grade I've always been ready for haterz."

"I'm just an obnoxiously loud voice of idiocy amongst billions," she added.

Sacks attends the private Eugene Lang Liberal Arts College at the New School in Manhattan.

One of the most expensive colleges in the country, Eugene Lang's annual cost of attendance is estimated to be over $61,000.

Rachel's father is Dr. Preston Sacks, a fertility doctor in Bethesda, Maryland, where the family lives in a $700,000 home.