Ali Baba Shares His Thoughts On Dangers Of Using Celebs For Product Endorsement

Here is a well written piece by ace comedian, Ali Baba.


"Earlier this year, I posted a tweet that was IRO the endorsement and ambassadorship of celebrities. I appreciated the fact that it was strategic to leverage on the stardom and celebrity popularity to gain market advantage in a highly competitive market. My study of market dynamics, has shown me that whatever gives you an edge in a capitalist driven economy is good. Good up to a point.

"That point could be ethical, political, humanitarian or pure application of commonsensical reasoning. And in the case of the endorsement by way of ambassadorial contracts, I did mention that much as the stars were better off from the windfall, artistic damages or collateral were in the clouds, forming. Many who read my tweet and my defense of my position thought I did not know what I was saying. Some even said I was saying (beefing) so because I was not selected. One person even said I should shut up and stick to comedy. (Only for him to attend my class in a management strategy class). That's a story for another day.

Let's move on.


"I have no problem with an artiste getting paid or have reservations on corporate bodies leveraging on celebrities. It's global standard for corporate bodies (Zaccheus) to climb on the image and stardom (tree) to achieve a purpose: customers attention (be seen by Jesus). If you can't reach the people, use whatever means available to. Sales & Marketing 101.

Now, the problem, that I saw coming, has come.

"Recall the Mary J BLIGE concert, where the promoters had only SHEYI Shey to support her? Good. What happened to all the talented female vocalists or singers? Ambassadorship happened to them. Did you see MI on stage at IcePrince's show? Ambassadorship. Saka cannot even be a guest at any event that is powered by anything green... He will be deported!

"My point is, one of these days, all artistes will be either signed on to yellow, green, lemon green, red, blue, blackish yellow and we will not be able to enjoy them freely like we used to. As for now, the artistes are not complaining. They are living it up. I recall when Zain was changing names for the... I lost count. They SHA were changing names. D'Banj had been penciled down to perform at the London hosting of Mandela. But he was GLO-ed down. So Zain used 9ice. And in less than 2 months 9ice had made nearly 2/3 of what D'Banj was Glo-ed down with. And of course, 9ice, still went on to do more events for competing brands that would have used Kokomaster.

"Very soon, some artistes will be banned from attending their colleagues birthdays or events, just so they don't walk on the carpet that is tailored to match the COLOUR of the sponsoring brand. Throw in awards ceremonies, collabos, music videos or TV or radio PROGRAMMES of other colleagues that are brand ambassadors for competing brands."