Policeman Kills Wife And Child Over N2000

police corporal, Lucky Ikharia, on October
30, allegedly used a bus to crush the legs of
his wife, Dupe. Having left her for dead,
Lucky went home where he allegedly
stabbed his baby, David, to death, ripping
out the toddler's intestines.Still in a rage,
the policeman turned the knife on himself in
an attempt to take his own
life.However,Lucky and his wife survived
but both were in critical conditions.
Punch learnt that the incident occurred at
the family's rented apartment in Kale Close,
Mafoluku, Oshodi last week.
Our correspondent gathered that four days
prior to the incident, 34-year-old Lucky, who
hails from Sabon Gida Ora, Edo State, had a
quarrel with his wife, Dupe over N2,000,
after which he reportedly sent her packing.
The policeman, who is attached to the
Makinde Police Division, Oshodi, Lagos had
also 'seized' their only child from Dupe as a
means of 'punishing' her.
Around 8pm on the day of the attack, Dupe,
a 30-year-old indigene of Abeokuta, Ogun
State, was heading for her mother's house
in Mushin unknown to her that Lucky was
waiting in a bus to attack her.It was learnt
that on getting to Olorunshogo junction,
Lucky pursued his wife with the bus,
crushing her legs in the process.
Leaving her for dead, Lucky was said to
have fled the scene while passersby initially
thought the attack was random.
However, after Dupe was rushed to a
nearby hospital on same evening for
treatment and had regained consciousness
the following morning, she explained that
the man who drove the bus which crushed
her legs was her own husband.
Unknown to Dupe, after her husband
attacked her, he reportedly drove back to
their apartment where he stabbed their
child, David, in the belly, before fleeing the
residence.
Our correspondent learnt that Lucky's co-
tenants and Dupe's relatives who
discovered the baby's corpse on Friday
morning, reported the incident at the
Akinpelu Police Division. It was also
gathered that the knife and the bus had
both been recovered.
When Punch visited the hospital where
Dupe was receiving treatment on Monday,
the woman, who could hardly speak. She
said the cause of the fight was a sum of
N2000 which Lucky claimed she stole.
She said,
"We got married and started living
together around October 2013. We
usually had quarrels and that was not
the first time he would beat me up,
and send me out of the house. But
this incident started on Sunday,
October 26. Lucky had initially kept
N15,000 with me.
"Then, on Sunday, he collected N5, 000
to repair the bus. Later I gave him the
rest, only to realise it was N8, 000. So,
he began to question where I kept the
remaining N2000. But I knew that it
was his nature to stir up trouble
because he had a habit of keeping
money with me and going again to
take it.So, we began to fight, and he
asked me to leave the house. He did
not allow me to take the child with me
that day. I was sleeping in friends'
places until Thursday when I decided
to go back home. I did not find my
baby, and when I asked him, he
threatened that if he met me in the
house by evening, he would kill me, kill
the baby and himself."
Dupe said she was then called by her
mother to come to their family house in
Mushin, adding that as she got on her way,
and was at the Olorunshogo junction, a
commercial bus swerved to her path and hit
her several times.
She said,
"The commercial bus was his bus. He
was the only man inside. He hit me
and I fell. Then he reversed and came
over my legs again. I lost
consciousness. That was the last thing
I knew."
Our correspondent learnt from one of the
nurses that Dupe might be admitted in the
hospital for about two months and might
spend over N600,000 for treatment owing to
the severity of the attack.
One of Dupe's relatives, Mr. Segun Akiode,
told our correspondent that the family had
yet to inform Dupe of her son's death. He
added that the family also did not know
Lucky's whereabouts.
He said,
"I was called on the phone on
Thursday evening that my sister was
knocked down at Olorunshogo junction.
When I got there, I met her in a pool of
blood. So, we rushed her to a hospital.
It was already around 9.30pm.
"On Friday, when we went to their
apartment, we found the baby boy,
stabbed in the belly and already dead
on the floor. We have not told Dupe
about his death yet. So, we went to
report at the Akinpelu Police Division,
and we were asked to describe the
bus which hit Dupe. When we did, they
said the bus was with them in the
station, but the whereabouts of Lucky
were still unknown."
When our correspondent got to the couple's
rented apartment in Kale Close, Mafoluku, it
was learnt from neighbours that Lucky had
not been seen at home since the day of
incident.
At the Makinde Division, a police source
told our correspondent that the suspect
was one of the patrol van drivers, but he
had not come to work since the day of the
incident.
The source added that Lucky, who was
believed to have also stabbed himself, was
in an undisclosed hospital receiving
treatment.