JimCaddy's Corner: Why The Igbo Tribe Stands Out Among The Rest

Before I write this article, let me add that this article is in no way to cause enmity between the Igbo tribe and any other tribe.

This article is purely opinionated, and in no means, a tool to cause hated or controversy.

When Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state embarked on his task of 'deporting' some Igbos from Lagos, I kept asking myself why? What could have happened?

Little wonder why the Igbos kicked against that move.

Then came the great Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, who tried and still tries to champion the cause that a certain Yoruba tribe is very superior to the Igbo tribe.

It is only natural for one to tilt towards sentiment in issues like this, but facts needs to be taken into cognisance.


Personally, I have been privileged to have an encounter with Nigerians from different tribes. I have Igbo friends, Yoruba friends, Hausa friends, Akwa Ibom friends, Urhobo friends, and my friends from Rivers state.

But one tribe strikes a bell in my head, which is the Igbo tribe.

I might not be an Igbo person, but I have had an affinity for Igbo people.

I remember when I was in secondary school, my Igbo teacher (Can't remember her name now) liked me so much because I passed her subject with flying colours.

I was on of the best Igbo students in my class because I took a keen interest in the subject.

Even in my Junior School Certificate Examination, I took Igbo as a subject, and did pretty well in it.


Well the Igbos might not be in the good books of most Nigerians, judging from the Civil War which was led by the Late Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu of blessed memory. A gallant soldier who peered into the future and tried to rescue the Igbos from marginalisation. Though he wasn't fully successful, but I can boldly say that he fought for a good cause, and the Igbos are presently enjoying that cause.

I bet to disagree with Governor Fashola on the notion that queried why most Igbos don't sit back in their own land and develop it rather than coming to Lagos.

Need I remind the Governor that there is no law that prevents any Nigerian from carrying out his or her duty in any state of choice.

The notion that Lagos belongs to the Yorubas as postulated by Chief Femi Fani-Kayode is not entirely correct.


If we were to dig the history books about Lagos, you will agree with me that so many tribes in the country can lay claim to Lagos.

The Binis can lay claim to Lagos, even those from Cotonou can lay claim to Lagos. The Yorubas can also lay claim to Lagos. The Igbos too can lay claim to Lagos.

So my conclusion is that Lagos is "No Man's Land."

Do not forget too that Lagos is the commercial nerve centre of Nigeria, hence the large infulx of most Nigerians to Lagos.

So I see no reason why the Igbos cannot come and conduct their business legitimately here.

Moving on, I must say without any form of bias, that the Igbo tribe is one I respect so much.
I have quite a number of Igbo friends, and I must say that I get on with them so much.

Even during my NYSC days, I had two very good Igbo friends.

Inter tribal issues play a great role in our relationship with people, but it is very imperative to state here that understanding is key.

You can never get along with people without understanding.

Ever wondered why the Igbos do so well in Lagos?

Look no further.. I have come to notice that almost, if not all Igbos who come to Lagos are successful in whatever they do.

Two things work for the Igbos. One is DEDICATION and HARDWORK.


An ordinary Igbo man is very hardworking and dedicated to any line of business he or she finds himself.

I have been to various markets in Lagos and found out that the Igbos dominate those markets, buying and selling and conducting business.

I have had quite a number of Igbo clients I conduct business with, and I must say that the way they conduct their business is very fascinating and inspiring.

An Igbo business man looks into the future.

I remember a certain day I wanted to buy something in one market in Ikeja, I stumbled upon a shop owned by an Igbo man. He didn't have what I was looking for. Can you believe this man left his shop and followed me to scour the market and made sure I got what I was looking for?

He even made me to get it at a cheaper price.

That is what I call being futuristic!!!


I had to even give him a tip and collect his number and I promised to patronise him some other time.

You just need to get close to an Igbo man to understand him, and the rest is history.


There was this professor in my university days, he was such a very loving and friendly man. I didn't like the subject he taught, but I was forced to take keen interest in it just because of this man.

The Igbos are very caring, loving and most importantly, friendly.


A check on the Entertainment industry in Nigeria is mostly dominated by the Igbos. A check on the Academic industry is mostly dominated by the Igbos.

You will also agree with me that a check on every strata of the Nigerian economy is mostly dominated by the Igbos.

They are very successful not because of where they reside, but because they are a dedicated, hardworking bunch of people.


Of course, every tribe has its own shortcomings.

I have heard people say that an Igbo man agrees to disagree.

The Igbos are tribalistic... The Igbos are this and that. But personally, I haven't had any terrible encounter with any of my Igbo friends, as I get along with them seamlessly.


No tribe is perfect, but it takes understanding to live in peace and harmony.

Let me end this piece by saying that anybody is free to live anywhere in the country and conduct his or her business legitimately.

I am inspired by the Igbos and I wish most tribes can take a cue from the Igbos too.


Cheers to the weekend!!!!

JimCaddy