I Sew Menswear To Be Different- Stephanie Nwobodo

Very few women venture into making menswear. Stephanie Nwobodo is one of them. Since her foray into tailoring menswear few years ago, she has not looked back. The accounting graduate is the brain behind Fue’go Taylor based in Abuja. She spoke on why she finds fulfilment making mens’ clothing.




Why did you start making menswear?
For me, making men’s clothes is a road less travelled. Many people want to make clothes for women. I have found out that men don’t have many options when it comes to finding a tailor or design options. For me, it has always been using the needle and thread to tailor clothes. I just like the fact that you can create art with just a needle and the thread.
Making menswear gives me the tailoring advantage. When you see a woman’s clothes, its about the design but what always stands out in a man’s outfit is the tailoring.  When you see clean lines and sharp cuts. That always makes their outfit spectacular.  

Did you learn this anywhere?

My first experience was with a road side tailor/seamstress after I graduated from secondary school. I had gone shopping with an aunt and she stopped over to see her tailor. I noticed that she had some tailors working with her and she will cut outfits and give them to sew. I liked the fact that she was focused. And the cloth she made for my aunt looked so well on her. So while, I was waiting for my JAMB result to come out, I told my mum about the tailor I met and asked if I could go and learn the trade. She gave a go ahead. My mum was a caterer and a hair dresser so she always encouraged handiworks. 
I learned the basics from this woman for five months. Later, I studied Accounting at Covenant University, Lagos but I knew that I liked fashion. Close to my graduation, my mum asked me about the fashion thing. After my graduation and NYSC, I was working at an IT firm as a junior accountant but I quit my job. I took a course for about 12 weeks at the fashion Academy Abuja and after wards I worked there on internship.  I got myself familiar with everything I had learnt. I went back to Lagos, and I was making clothes on my own and for family and friends. 
I knew the designers I wanted to work with. Mai Atafo was top on my list. I met him and did internship with his company for three months. While I was working with him, I learnt the administrative side of running a fashion business, handling consultations, taking clients and following up on their orders.  I also worked with his tailors. After my internship, he offered me a full-time job. I started August 2014 and did that for a year. It was a lot of experience. I worked with the pattern department and was working with a group of tailors. On this job, you never stop learning. 

What is the challenge making menswear?
I think the first is that people see you and are wondering, will you be able to make men’s clothes because it’s a male-dominated business. So, I have to constantly remind myself, it’s what I can do. Your work always speaks for you. If anyone is in doubt, show them what you can do. 

What are the successes?
Personally, I am happy when I see that my clients are satisfied. When they get what they want. It’s not about how much you make, although money is important because it’s a business you are running.But, you could be getting paid and your clients are not happy, because of delivery time or your customer service is not very good. 

Do you make traditional or English wears?
I make both. I prefer to make suits, jacket and English wears but now I make the traditional wears because that is on high demand now. I don’t want to overwhelm myself with so much work because I am relatively new in the market. I have plans to expand and grow. 

How lucrative is this business?

When you find a niche that is not saturated, it’s lucrative. When you find there is a need somewhere, you meet it.  A lot of people are doing women swear already.  For menswear, if you are not cut out for it, you may not excel. 

Do men feel uncomfortable that a woman is making their clothes?
They already know that it is a female that is the tailor so they have to make up their mind before coming. I don’t have issues with most of the clients I deal with. Most of them I have worked for, like what I have done, and they refer others to me. I like what I do. 
In the next few years, I would have started my menswear line. I want to make men’s accessories like ties, belts and so on.  
I have gotten job offer which I turned down. It’s not that they cannot pay me but because I feel I am on a journey and the more I keep walking away from it, the more I will be wasting my time. Because whatever I do, I will still come back to fashion. 





Culled