Lionel Messi Retires From International Football After Copa America Final Loss To Chile

Lionel Messi has retired from international football after Argentina crashed to a defeat against Chile in the final of the Copa America.
"For me the national team is over. I've done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion," said the 29-year-old Barcelona superstar in the wake of the penalty shoot-out defeat in New Jersey.
"It's been four finals, it's not meant for me. I tried. It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn't get it, so I think it's over."
Messi's announcement, just two days after his 29th birthday, comes after Argentina suffered their third loss in a major final since 2014.
The five-time FIFA Player of the Year, winner of four Champions League titles and eight Spanish La Liga crowns with Barcelona, missed from the penalty spot as Argentina lost to Chile for the second straight year, losing 4-2 in the shootout following a goalless 120 minutes.
They were beaten 1-0 by Germany in the final of the World Cup in 2014 and lost on penalties, also to Chile, in the final of the 2015 Copa America, while Messi also tasted defeat with Argentina in the final of the 2007 Copa America