Chelsea Agree Fee With Real Madrid For Striker Alvaro Morata

Chelsea have pulled off an incredible transfer coup by agreeing an initial fee of £58million with Real Madrid for Alvaro Morata.

In a statement on their website on Wednesday night, Chelsea confirmed Telegraph Sport’s earlier report that a deal with Madrid has been agreed and Morata will now discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

Chelsea did not reveal the size of the fee, but Telegraph Sport understands the Premier League champions will pay an initial £58m before add-ons.

The £58m will still eclipse Chelsea’s previous record spend of £50m on Fernando Torres in 2011. It is believed the add-ons could see the final fee for Morata rise towards £70m if Chelsea achieve their targets with him.

Morata travelled with Real for their US tour, but will now break away from that to discuss personal terms with Chelsea and undergo a medial.

Having initially left their options open following their failure to land Lukaku, the Blues made a breakthrough in negotiations with Real over Morata on Wednesday and hope to conclude the deal swiftly.

The 24-year-old has been keen on the prospect of working with Conte at Chelsea since the Blues tried to sign him last summer.

"I am very happy, God willing, tomorrow I will be at Chelsea, a club that has always wanted me," Morata told Spanish newspaper Marca on Wednesday night.

"I'm not disappointed about anything, I've won four titles here [with Real Madrid], but now I only think of putting on the Chelsea shirt.

"I want to grow up, if I didn't I wouldn't have left. I'd like to thank Zidane and wish him luck for the upcoming season.