"I Don't Like People Who Smell"- Beat FM's OAP Fade Ogunro

Here is an interview I culled from Punch Newspapers in which popular Beat FM's OAP, Fade Ogunro was interviewed.

Excerpts below:

Background

I am Fade Ogunro. I am 25 years old and a radio presenter. I was born in Lagos; I attended St. Saviour's Primary School, Ebute-Metta and Childville Primary School, Ogudu, Lagos. When I was eight years old, the whole family moved to London because my mother is half Nigerian/half English.  I furthered my education in London and I am a graduate of journalism and creative writing from Birmingham University, United Kingdom.

 

Relocation

I returned to Nigeria three years ago. Currently, I work as an On-Air Personality for the Beat 99.9fm. Also, I am a TV presenter for Glam Report TV. I have my shows on Saturdays and Sundays.   In between all of these, I run my own TV production company.

Experience in Nigeria


Coping with the traffic was the first ugly experience I had.  The first time I drove in Lagos, I hit a motorcycle rider. Immediately, his colleagues surrounded me! It was frightful and I thought I was going to be abducted.   I had to check into the hospital because my blood pressure became very high! Since then, I have refused to drive myself. I rely on the services of drivers.

Me and 'Naija' men


I found out that a lot of guys were threatened by the fact that I work in the media and I have shot music videos with popular artistes.  I found it really strange because in the United Kingdom, guys are very comfortable with their ladies working.  I would not even bother to lead any man on if he was opposed to the idea of me working.  I started Film Factory with my brother in the UK and I am trying to expand it to other African countries. If a man does not support that vision, then, that is an indication that there will be problems in the relationship.  I want a man who is supportive, not the type who will tell me that I have to sit down and polish his shoes.


Relationship

My boyfriend is very understanding.   Fortunately, he lives in the UK. His mentality is a lot more expanded. He understands what I am trying to do and he supports and   encourages me. Getting married? We have only dated for about six months and I like to leave everything in the hands of God.  Every woman wants to get married and have children but it is really early to think of marriage. Until we start facing difficulties and we learn to overcome them together, we cannot decide if we will make compatible partners.


Hobbies

I like hanging out, travelling, reading books, working in the studio, playing music, dancing and   shopping for shoes.   I also do a bit of creative writing.

 


Challenges in the entertainment industry

Different jobs come with different challenges. In TV production, it is lack of funds and lack of sponsorship.  I also have problem with my gender.  People don't take female producers seriously; they just say, 'Oh! It is another fashion and make-up stuff.'

Dislikes

I hate dishonest people who tell little white lies. That really turns me off.  Also, I don't like people who smell! I don't understand why they smell when we have deodorants everywhere.  If it was incurable, one can understand and tolerate it. But you have to work with some people with body odour and put up with it because you would not be able to tell them that they smell.


Likes

I like African women who are strong-willed and ambitious. Some of them who have lived abroad come back home and try to impact the society with their knowledge and experience.   Since a large proportion of women tend to get married and get involved in a nine-to-five job, when I see those of them that are entrepreneurs, I am inspired.