Out Of The Blues, Soul E Resurfaces; Talks About His Crashed Relationship; Plans To Release Gospel Album

Some years back the singers, Emmanuel Ifechukwude Okose (Soul E) and beautiful banker, Queen Ure were an item in the Nigerian showbiz circuit. So hot was their love for each other that they made the public believe they were legally married. They both ran Love Villa, a Lagos-based youth church Queen founded and Soul E Records. After the affair packed up, Queen Ure went back to join Rev. Chris Okotie's Household of God Church where she worshiped before setting up Love Villa while loverboy went underground. Soul E finally opened up to Taiwo Obatusin on why his celebrated romance with Ure crashed.

You have been off the scene for a while now, what has been happening to your career?

I have been working and now I am more of an inspiration artiste. I have been cooking up a lot of things. We have shot like 3 musical videos. I am ready to kick off and come out of my shell now.
I have an album in the market called 'Message'. It is a gospel album, I have also been working on 2 videos, 'Thank God and Baba You Too Much'. I am more of gospel musician now. I have a very huge passion for God. Most of the trials I faced made me realise where I was coming from. I am guided by the fact that God allowed me pass through all that so that I can be refined.
I am also dropping an inspirational album next year March. Also a song called 'O Ya Now' will also be released. I have 100 songs in my archieve ready to be released. All the while that my followers have not heard from me, I have been working.


Before you relocated to Abuja, some years ago, you ran a church with your ex-Queen Ure, what happened to the church?

(Laughs). Let me correct this. I didn't have a church. It was my ex's ministry. I was supporting her at that time. I am not a Pastor. I am a musician. I preach through my music. One of my vision is taking the gospel from the church to the streets.


What was responsible for your relocating to Abuja?

I was handling some projects. I have a registered company, Soul E International. I handled some contracts. My moving to Abuja was based on that. I also wanted a change of environment. I wanted to stay away for a while and come back better which is exactly what happened.

How many years did you stay in Abuja?


I left for Abuja end of 2009. I came back to Lagos 2 years ago but I did make it public. I stayed in Abuja for about 3 years.


Immediately you got to Abuja, there was a story that you got married to Abuja Big Babe, Petula Delinda shortly after your marriage to Queen Ure broke up in Lagos.

(Cuts in with a loud laughter). My God! Wetin I do Nigerian press men? Haa! London Big Girl? Me? For real? I was in Abuja for projects. I am into contracts and own a travelling agency. I was doing a lot of stuffs. I am seriously in shock. Let me clear the air, Ure and I never got married. Why is the story of my marriage to Ure always coming up? I am a musician.

What about Petula, were you married to her?


Petula is my very close friend.

But there are stories that both of you lived together?

That is not true. She is a good friend of mine. I saw her about 4 days ago and she is in Lagos as we speak. Though she told me about the story but I didn't believe it until now. The day I am going to marry the whole country would know I am getting married.

Are you saying you are not married?

Soul E is a single boy.

But everyone had the impression that you and Queen Ure were altar-bound?

I was in love with Ure, no doubt about that. I take responsibilities for my actions. I would never deny I was in love with her.


When did you part ways and what caused it?

I don't want to talk about the issue.


Were the issues irreconcilable or both of you were no longer compatible?

Things didn't work out between Ure and I. We parted ways late 2007. We had gone our separate ways 1 year before it became known to the public.


Was there a mutual agreement?


It was an understanding between both of us. Both of us understand ourselves.
What is the state of your relationship now?
We are still friends. Ure can never be my enemy. She would always be part of my life. I would greet her whenever I see her.


So there was nothing like marriage between both of you?

I have never been married. Soul E is a single boy.

So no relationship for now?


I have a relationship. I have a woman in my life whom I am proud of. When I am ready for marriage I will invite all the media houses in Nigeria, so they can see the woman.


Can you tell us a bit about the woman?

(Laughs). Even if I have a serious relationship now I would not want to talk about it. Please and please ooo.

So where did the story of you being married to Queen Ure come from?


I wouldn't know. I have never been married to any woman. Anyone in doubt of my claims should go to any marriage registry in the country to check their records. I think journalists too should have asked where the marriage certificate is. Where is the marriage certificate?

Why have you always been linked with ladies who are older than you. What is the attraction for you?

(Laughs). Oh my God. The woman I am involved with now is younger than me. Ure is the only lady that was older than me with many years gap.
But on the average older babes want to date you…
I disagree with you. Younger babes too come telling me we should date. The only babe that I have dated and there was so much hype is Ure.


What lessons did you learn from the relationship?


I have learnt not to put my relationship in the hands of the crowd. If the public, friends and press were not involved, we would have still being together. I have learnt that my relationship is my life. I have made up my mind that no one would be involved in my future relationship.

But a lot of people have an impression that you date older women and some assume you are a Gigolo…


That is absurd and a wrong impression about me. I am 4 years older than the woman I am dating now. I respect women because as an artiste, they make me who I am. I go after who I love whether she is older or younger than me. It is nobody's business.


Was that why you went out of circulation?

Exactly, I had to go away from all what people were saying.