My Son’s Premonition Could Have Been From God – Akeem Akintunde's Father

Late Akeem Akintunde, 35, recently became famous for the Facebook post that preceded his death.

Akeem, one of the victims of the ill-fated Associated Airline plane that crashed on October 3, 2013, had some hours before the incident, posted on Facebook: "For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'if today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today! And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

Therefore, many people suspected that Akeem had a premonition of his death.

His father, Chief Lateef Akintunde, described his son as very religious, saying that his closeness to God might explain the suspected premonition.

Akintunde (snr), who had just finished praying, and clutching the Muslim prayer beads, added that  the family had taken Akintunde's loss "by faith."

He said, "My son was very religious and close to God, so that may explain the message he posted. We came from Him and we will go back to Him. We are a religious family, so we have taken everything by faith. We thank God for his life."

However, Akintunde said his son would be "greatly missed."

The crash occurred last Thursday, but Akeem had visited his parents the Monday preceding his death.

Akintunde said, "That Monday, he came here and gave me money. I didn't know that would be the last time I would see him alive.

"He had even promised to revive my printing press and he had been committed to our welfare. He would never get annoyed with me, no matter what. When I call, he comes straight away."

Akintunde also urged the government to do everything necessary to prevent another plane crash in the country, saying the calamities caused by crashes were enough.

He said, "We should move closer to God and shun dishonesty and corruption in all things. Government should take care of the welfare of the people and make sure that only aircraft that is fit to fly gets to the sky."

Akeem is survived by his wife, two boys and a girl, with their ages ranging from three to nine years.

Akeem's mother, Falilatu, also took her son's death in its stride and kept saying "we thank God."

Akeem was the fourth of six children. His elder brother, Isiaka Akintunde, described the loss as 'unfortunate' and 'painful.'

He said, "I don't think I will get over the trauma in six months; I cry everyday. It's sad we lost somebody like that."

However, Akeem's uncle, who said he was the first Chairman, Odu'a Maritime, Apapa, Rasak Akintunde Aniyanju, blamed the country's emergency response service for most deaths occurring from accidents.

He said, "Immediately there is an accident, the injured people should be put in ambulances and given oxygen on their way to the hospital. But that's not the case in Nigeria.

"Again, Nigerians should learn to give ambulances room in traffic. When ambulances are blowing sirens, we should understand that it's for a matter of life and death."