UNILORIN Students To Start Receiving Lectures Via iPad

Newly admitted students of the University of Ilorin have expressed happiness over the prospect of owning an I-Pad following the recent announcement to that effect by the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali.

Some of the new students, who spoke with Unilorin Bulletin last Friday (October 11, 2013), lauded the University administration for the initiative, noting that the PC tablets would go a long way in facilitating their academic pursuits in the University.

Some of the students were also glad that the University did not join the on-going industrial action embarked upon by members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

One of the students, Shittu Alexander of the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, said, "The e-learning system is good because you don't have to carry note books and textbooks about when you can just get what you want on the I-Pad. Everybody is talking about it; it is on the Unilorin FM and the Unilorin Bulletin. Everybody is yearning to see it and I think it is a good idea.

On her part, Vivian Temidayo Moses of the Department of Zoology said, "I feel happy and fulfilled because I had really wanted to attend the University of Ilorin because I hear of the standards and its stable academic calendar. The online registration was quite easy but I was not able to get accommodation. It is nice that the University is introducing the I-Pad for fresh students because when I first heard the news from a friend, I had taken it as a rumour but there is no problem, I am very IT compliant. My aim is to become one of the best students in my class."

Another new student, Kamal Sanusi of the Computer Science Department, said, "My dream is to have an I-pad and I really like it. It feels great being a student of this institution and I think the University of Ilorin is one of the best in Nigeria. In fact, it is the best. My registration process was easy and I want to make a First Class degree by the time I graduate by the grace of God."

On her part, Kikelomo Adekola of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine expressed happiness with the introduction of the I-pad because, according to her, "it would make lectures fun" and it would encourage creativity on the part of students.

She said, "I will be happy when I finally get mine because I won't have to carry note books everywhere. The University has made many things easy for students especially the online registration. Already, I have listened to GNS lectures broadcast on the Unilorin FM radio, and it was interesting. I feel proud being a student of the University of Ilorin."

Another student, Rasheed Sadiq, said, "I hope the I-Pad will not be too expensive for students. However, it is a good initiative but one has to be careful with it so that it does not get damaged or stolen."

Unilorin Bulletin gathered that the cost of acquiring the I-pad had been built into the school fees paid by the fresh students.