Jose Mourinho Now "The Happy One" As He Is Officially Unveiled As Manager Of Chelsea

At his official unveiling as Chelsea's new manager, Jose Mourinho told the press not to call him the Special One – by which he announced his first arrival in 2004. Instead, he says he is the Happy One.

"If I have to choose a nickname for this period. I would choose the happy one. I am very happy. I was two years at Inter and three at Madrid, five years in a managerial career is a long time. Football is an industry where you learn a lot of yourself and learn a lot every day.

"My beginning in 2000, when I was managing for the first time I thought I knew everything but after 13 years you realise you know nothing and have to learn every day. My adventures around Europe were fantastic for me, different countries, different cultures, different media. It was fantastic.

"At 50 I think I am still very young as a manager and I think it was like the beginning of a new period. Do I have a different personality? No, but for sure I have a deferent approach and perspective."

When asked whether he was mellower than his previous spell as Chelsea manager, he replied: "Calmer? I believe so.

"You have to learn with experiences. Sometimes people speak about people in negative way. I haven't arrived there yet but experience is vital if you use it well.

"I analyse myself every day as manager, leader and member of a club and I try to improve.

"Nine years is a big difference and you pushed me a lot in that first press conference for a strong approach – now you know me after my success.

"I'm in the best moment of my career in terms of knowledge. I'm sorry the pre-season doesn't start tomorrow."

 

On Mourinho's plans for Chelsea squad, he said: "There are still a few boys from my previous time here, which is always good to go back and see these people who gave me absolutely everything.



"It is important for me to tell you that there is no privilege for them. They know that already as they know my nature as a manger. They don't have an advantage in relation to the other people.

"There is a group of boys that Chelsea did very well to get in these past years and I will be more than happy to work with them and improve them.

"We always have ambition to add a couple of new players, to give different qualities and increase the competitiveness. The most important part of my job at the moment is the improvement of the youth here. They have big potential and I think I have the conditions to help improve them."

Mourinho speaks about his managerial rivals.

"I'm still a bit disappointed that I'm back and I'll go to Old Trafford and Sir Alex is not there," he said. "But David Moyes has conditions and experiences and protection from the club to do job and do well.

"Wenger is there and I'm happy he is.

"And the three boys – when I say boys I say it with warmth – Brendan (Rodgers), Steve (Clarke) and Andre (Villas-Boas). I'm more than happy to be in same league and wish them all the best.

"Pellegrini is a man with a lot of experience first time he moves here but maturity and quality to do a good job.

"I look forward to what the Premier League is. In the last three years I've played in a league which is a two-horse race and now I move to a league where you lose more times but the competition is open to more than two."

Mourinho on Chelsea's objective:

"Everybody will try to finish top four, and after that top three. After that, trying to win it. Of course the first objective is top four."

Asked if he was hurt that Manchester United or Manchester City didn't approach him, he said: "I am where I want to be. I wouldn't change it for anything."