Man Seeks To Divorce His Wife Over Witchcraft

Man seeks divorce from his wife due to witchcraft. This was the case between Peter Imabong and his wife, Eginma Imabong.

The case came up for hearing recently at the Gurku Upper Area Court, Mararaba, Nassarawa State.

Mr Peter took his wife to court and demanded that the court grants him divorce. He explained that he was no longer in love with his wife and that
there was no reason to remain married to her. He claimed that his wife was a witch.

On her part, his wife, Eginma told the court that she does not want to divorce her husband, "my faith tells me that marriage is a covenant and not a contract so I do not want to divorce him. If he is tired of the marriage, he should take me back to my parents who gave me to him in marriage."

When Mr Peter was asked why he wanted to divorce, he said that he was no longer interested in the marriage. He
told the court that they had been married since 2007 and they have had no children and that recently his wife has been asking him to sleep behind her on their matrimonial bed.



"Where I come from, it is wrong for a man to lie behind a woman. So I always refuse to do it and then the next morning, I will wake up to find myself on the floor. If I ask her why I am on the floor, she will retort, 'did I not tell you to sleep behind me?'," this has happened more than once and I cannot take it anymore", Peter said.

He also stated that although they are of Christian faith, he does not attend the same church with his wife as he does not believe in the practice of her church.

He spoke of another instance where he was sitting in his parlour when an unseen object came to hit him on the left shoulder. He had to go to the hospital because of the pain and the hospital could not do anything about it.

Then he had to resort to herbal medicine. He brought the herbal medicine home and was using it but when his wife saw it, she took it to her church and defiled it. She then returned home and told him that his medicine will not work again.

In her defense, Eginma told the court that it was not true. She said that she did not know what to him to the floor, "I told him that we need to pray about the situation, I just said that he should stay behind me so that I will see that spirit that will come and carry him across me and put him on the floor."

Eginma told the court that her husband had moved out of the house since February 27, 2013 and has refused to come back.

After hearing the testimony of the wife, the presiding Judge W.V. Ghahemba adjourned the case to June 25, 2013 for judgment.