9-Year-Old Girl Raped By 58-Year-Old Photographer

A 58-year-old photographer, Mr Patrick Kayode, has been remanded in police custody after he was arraigned in Iyaganku Magistrates court last Friday, May 31 for allegedly defiling a nine-year-old girl Olamide (not real name).

It was gathered that the girl's mother reported at  Iyaganku Division on May 22, 2013 that the suspect allegedly defiled her daughter, which resulted in the girl falling ill, raising the suspicion that he might have infected her or used her for juju.

According to Olamide, while explaining how she was defiled before the case was charged to court, the suspect, whom she referred to as Baba Photo, came to her school one day and asked her to come to his house to collect her mother's photograph. "He took me to his house to know the place, he didn't do anything to me that day.
"On a day which date I can't remember, Baba Photo asked me to come at break time. When I got there, Baba held me by the arms and put me on the bed. There was nobody in the house at that time, so he had sex with me. I shouted but no one was around to rescue me. He did it to me two times.
"I did not tell anyone when I got home because he said that I would die if I did. The fear of death made me keep sealed lips. My teacher got to know when she overheard Baba telling me not to come to his house through a major road but to follow a shortcut when coming to his house. My teacher questioned me and I told her everything that Baba had been doing to me."

However, the suspect who said he hailed from Ijurin Ekiti in Ekiti State, denied having sex with the girl, saying that it was strange to him that she pointed at him among other men. In an interview with Crime Reports, Mr Kayode said "I have been in Ibadan since 1980. I am separated from my wife who had four children for me. My last child who is a male is staying with me. I am a photographer.
"I believe the little girl was just trying to set me up. I travelled after Easter to my hometown. On May 20, I left town for Ibadan. I heard a knock on my door and the stranger told me that my presence was required in a nearby primary school.
"Thinking that they had a job for me, I went there with enthusiasm, only for me to get there and be told that I had sex with the young girl which was surprising to me because nothing of such happened. Her mother was my customer whom I used take snapshots of. I even cursed myself that I should be stricken within seven days by Ogun, the god of iron if I did anything like that."
When asked why the girl pointed at him among all men, Mr Kayode replied that that was the shocking aspect of the story. "I believe that the mother would come out one day to say that she lied against me," he said.
As a single father, the suspect was asked how he had been coping with his sexual needs without a wife. He answered that he had numerous female friends who satisfy his needs sexually.
"My profession brings me in contact with many females as I travel about. I don't go to prostitutes."
The girl was reportedly admitted in  a private hospital in Ibadan where she was under treatment for 48 hours. According to the report of the medical examination conducted on the victim, which Crime Reports had access to, there was reported absence of hymen, while the girl had highly-inflamed vagina wall. She was also observed to have had 'purulent vaginal discharge' and diagnosed of 'acute pelvic inflammatory disease'.

The case, initially adjourned to June 14 for further hearing, was said to have been moved to June 22 with the suspect remanded in prison custody when the case came up on Friday.